Friday, January 23, 2009

Background for the journey

Why would a boatbuilder care enough to board a train to Pictou NS in a month's from now? A little time reading Attwood's Payback, Richard Wright's What is America?, and Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns.........juxtaposed to 680 news and the Globe and Mail leads me to believe first of all I'm not particularly well-read, that we're not getting the whole picture from the MSM, and that our beloved country is going to spiral downwards in apathy and ignorance if we don't lift our heads out of the sand. Mine at least.

Faced with some divergent truths about ourselves as Canadians and the current trends in politics leaves me thinking one has to pick a path and take it as far as it fits, and wet ones feet in the muddy waters. To wit, peace order and good government doesn't seem to take in fighting a war that isn't ours, listening to a dysfunctional question period in the House of Commons, and hearing blatant untruths about our parliamentary democracy. The truth might not belong solely to any particular camp but enough already, there has to be something one can do.

Pictou as far as I can make out will be primarily about 130 workshops squished into two short days during which important decisions about policy will be settled. Parliamentary Reform, Guaranteed Annual Income, taxation and Carbon Shift issues, International Affairs and internal issues of governance- who wouldn't want to be there. I would invite members from our riding assoc. to point out what interests them, as I'll be representing them in the forums.

2 comments:

  1. Bravo Stan,
    I do hope more knowledgeable people than I will comment and also follow you out east.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo Stan,
    I do hope other more knowledgeable people than myself will comment and follow you along out east.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete